What is property assessment?
Assessment is the process of valuing all properties in an area using mass appraisal techniques. Property assessment is not the same as property tax. Local governments use property assessments to calculate property taxes. Property assessments link the value of a property to market conditions. Since property values change over time, all assessments are calculated according to a 'base date' to ensure fairness.
The Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency (SAMA) determines the assessed values of all of the properties in the municipality. It is an agency that operates independently from the government.
What property is assessable?
All land and improvements (buildings) are assessable.
- The term "land" refers to the ‘parcel of land’ that is legally surveyed parcel of ground to which an owner has a title or a lessee has access.
- "Improvements" are buildings or structures on the land, including machinery or equipment that is used to service the building.
- "Property" means land or improvements or both
Town of Wynyard Certificate of Confirmation
Who can I contact to explain my assessment?
If you have specific questions regarding why your property has been assessed a certain way, or what the things on your assessment mean, you may contact SAMA directly at 1-800-667-7262 or email@example.com. You may also contact the Town Office at 306-554-2123 to obtain a copy of the detailed property assessment report and understand the assessment appeals process.
Related Document: Citizens Assessment Appeals Guide in Saskatchewan
The municipal council has a limited role in the property assessment process. Council is responsible for:
- Deciding what type of board of revision will serve the municipality best.
- Stand alone;
- District; or
- Contracted board
- Appointing members to the board of revision early in the year.
- Appointing the secretary to the board of revision.
- Setting the term of office of each member of the board of revision.
The Town of Wynyard appointed:
Development Appeals Board & Board of Revision Secretary
Western Municipal Consulting Ltd.
Box 149, Meota, SK S0M 1X0